(Queanbeyan) Medical Receptionist – General Practice – FT, PT & Casual Positions
About the business and the role
Queanbeyan GP Super Clinic is an accredited practice and has an integrated approach to patient care, with 26 general practitioners, a nurse team, allied health team and visiting specialists.
The Receptionist role is critical to the effectiveness and efficiency of the clinic; working with a team of 25 receptionists and reporting to the Reception Manager.
Job tasks and responsibilities
in accordance with the practice policies and procedures:
- answer the telephone in a courteous and professional manner
- receive and convey messages in writing, verbally and electronically
- liaise with patient and their families in a compassionate manner
- liaise with GPs, other health professionals and their staff
- make appointments
- handle cash, EFTPOS and other payments
- manage documents both hardcopy and softcopy
- manage incoming and outgoing communications, including fax, scan, SMS, email and letter
- type documents as required with a high level of accuracy
- as required place orders for stationery and/or clinical supplies as directed
- action reasonable requests from practitioners
- participate in practice ongoing professional development activities
- contribute equitably to maintaining the cleanliness of the practice
- adhere to practice dress standards
- any other administrative or reception duties as directed by the Reception Team Leader or their delegate.
Safety and quality
- participate in the practice risk management and quality improvement processes
- record incidents and near-misses in line with practice policy
- practice duty of care including meeting practice standards and accountability
- maintain patient and practice confidentiality at all times
- ensure the practice building and work spaces are conducive to a safe and practical work environment
- work to governance processes and standards
- Reception and office environment
- Exposure to general public and patients
All staff are expected to work within the spirit of the QGPSC values and behaviours:
- Quality of work through consistency of approach and challenging the norm.
- Growth, by showing a personal willingness to learn, change and innovate.
- Purpose through teamwork – cooperation, flexibility and communication.
- Supportive, respectful behaviour towards patients and each other.
- Contribution and commitment towards self-improvement and business success.
Skills and experience
- the ability to maintain a high level of professionalism and confidentiality
- excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- ability to work independently, show initiative and work productively within a team environment
- ability to communicate with a diverse range of people
- strong attention to detail in communication and data entry
- previous experience as a medical receptionist
- previous experience in use of the Best Practice
- working knowledge of Windows based software systems – Outlook, Word, Excel
- an understanding of the Medicare Benefits Schedule
- an understanding of medical terminology, medical and allied health professional organisations and relevant stakeholder
- be well motivated
- work as part of a team
- work independently
- able to work in a multi—disciplinary environment
- able to work under pressure
- a willingness to learn new skills and be open to suggestions